The View Encounter page is just that, where the details of a single Encounter are displayed. Use this page to view the Encounter during a game. Don’t use the Encounter Generator because you may inadvertently change something.
If no Encounter is appearing find one with the Encounter Search page or the widget below that will show your customized Encounters.
- Goblin Cave Showdown
- The PCs find a goblin filled cave. These goblin bandits are not in the mood to talk. As soon as the PCs are discovered they will attack. Since they are fighting for a their home, but more importantly a hill giant leader, they are far more likely to fight to the death.
- What you need to know to prepare the PCs for this encounter.
The PCs find a cave of goblins. They know that these goblins have set up here so they can easily raid passing caravans just down the valley. These are goblins are criminals and murders and need to be dealt with!
As the PC’s enter the cave, the GM should speak out in a gruff voice.
“It’s about time you lunk-heads returned. I’ve been waiting all day! I’m starving, you better have something tasty or I am going to eat one of you! “
A hill giant appears from the depths of the dark cave! Standing almost 9 feet tall, this long and lanky giant is wearing the fine clothes of people the goblins have stolen from: way too short, some torn, and the clothes make the giant look ridiculous! But he is obviously quite proud of them. With a scowl, he reaches over and picks up a small tree, which appears to be his club. Several other weapons seem to be crudely jammed through or lashed onto the strange weapon!
“Hey, you’re not my goblins! What did you do to them?”
The giant then confidently strides into battle. He is 4 spaces away from the first PC. The giant starts in the corner near his bed and moves to protect the entrance to his part of the cave. However, this still leaves a small opening in the back the PCs could use if they see it with a Passive Perception of 17. There is room to spread out and move in this fight. Just remember, a PC cannot move through a NPC’s space and visa versa.
- Hill Giant Thumper Leader – This NPC is a tough and mean. This giant might hit hard but it is not smart at all.
This time, neither the PCs nor the NPCs are ambushing or surprising the other, so both the GM and PCs will roll Reaction Checks (d20 + Reaction Modifier). Combat starts with the highest final Reaction roll, then the next highest, and so on until everyone has had a turn. Then the process repeats until one side or the other is dead or has fled.
There is only one giant here, but this particular NPC is a difficult one. It is designed to be a leader of the goblins. This would be considered a “boss fight” in many games.
Tips for this Boss Fight
- The NPC giant will attack different PCs, spreading its attacks around. It will not focus on one enemy.
- For the sake of learning, if the PC’s feel they are doing poorly and want or need to retreat, the giant will not follow them out of the cave (if they are fleeing). This can give the PCs a second chance to figure out how they want to handle the tough enemy.
- This NPC can be easily confused and tricked. If the PCs want to try to talk their way out, it is possible.
- If the PCs are struggling, the giant can run away after it is lower than 50 Hit Points.
- Tactics the NPCs might use during this encounter.
- Tactics for this battle will need to change depending on how well your PCs work together. If they are working well as a team then the goblins and giant can as well. But if they are just figuring stuff out or having a hard time it is a good idea to have their enemies fight poorly. This way even though it is a struggle they will win. Use some of the tips from the details if you are not sure how to pull this off.
- What happens after the Encounter if the PCs win? What if they lose?
- Once the giant is defeated, the players can search through the cave. They find a lot of filth and disgusting stuff but also uncover some of the treasure the goblins and giant have stolen. For their efforts and hard work, they get some loot! There is a smattering of nice weapons around the cave, most of which are actually lashed to the giant’s club. Each player gains a +1 to Attack weapon of their choice. There is also enough money around for each of them to gain 200 gold pieces. Quite the haul!
- Images to Enhance the Encounter
- Encounter Images can be a wide range of things from a map, terrian picture, image of a clue or item, or maybe a puzzle. Use these to enhance your Encounter and add depth and flavor to your games.
Are you unhappy with the Encounters you have to pick from? Create your very own customized Encounter with our generator.