Character bonuses and penalties are a large part of the Fyxt RPG. When calculating all character statistics and numbers there is one important rule to remember: no character bonuses of the same type stack. The lone exception to this rule is a GM bonus to anything. The GM always has the ability to grant bonuses that will stack with everything else you may have.
You will always use the greater bonus when deciding between bonuses of the same named type. If a character currently has multiple bonuses of the same type and for some reason the character loses the greater bonus, the lesser bonus will immediately take effect. In other words, player characters can have many effects of the same type active but only one gives them a bonus at a time.
Character Bonuses in the Fyxt RPG
Here is a list of the base bonus types used in the Fyxt Role Play Game System:
- Base Score: The score your character starts with is not a bonus.
- Specialty Bonus: A bonus from a Specialty.
- Item Bonus: A bonus granted by wearing an item.
- Power Bonus: A bonus from being effected by a Power.
- Power Penalty: A penalty from an enemy’s Power.
- Combat Bonus: Any bonus gained from your combat prowess such as when flanking.
- Environmental Bonus: A bonus OR penalty due to the environmental conditions (such as a blizzard).
- GM Bonus: Any bonus granted by the Game Master.
The Fyxt RPG Character Sheet takes all constant bonuses and penalties into account when it calculates your character’s statistics and numbers.
Character Bonuses Calculation Exceptions
The following game mechanics bonuses are not auto-calculated on the character sheet. These are short term or temporary bonuses that the player must take into account themselves when they are playing.
- Active Bonus/Penalty: These are things that come from Specialties or items that the player must actively use, just as Damage Boosts.
- Combat Bonus/Penalty: These are only applied if you are flanking, above the target, or other short term situation.
- GM Bonus/Penalty: There are often one time or short term changes. If there are long lasting or permanent GM bonuses add those to the GM Mod section of the Character Sheet to have it calculate them for you!
- Power Bonuses: These are added by Powers and have a limited duration. (That of the Power.)
As the Fyxt RPG grows more and more of these will be integrated into the character sheet to make it easier for players.
If you have any questions or comments about how and when Character Bonuses are applied please ask your question on our forums.